Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Dating Red Flag

After a failed relationship years ago I sent my older (younger) brother to Barnes and Noble to buy It's Called a Breakup Because It's Broken. Considering my brother went through great lengths for many years to deny any relation to me, it was pretty amazing that he marched into the SELF HELP section of a store and returned with this literary gem. If you have not heard of this book, it's by Sex and the City writer Greg Behrendt, also author of the classic He's Just Not That Into You. Both books are incredible and helped me avoid future mismatched relationships and land the man I'm lucky enough to now call my husband. But who wants to hear about lovey dovey fairy tales when there are more embarrassing stories to be told? ONWARD!

Let's go back to the year 2004. I had been dating... let's call him "Laser" just for kicks. Laser was (and still is) a nice guy, but it was clear early on that it wasn't an ideal match. He "lost" my number a couple times before we finally managed to arrange a first date, but eventually we began steadily seeing one another.

About five months went by, and he invited me to visit some friends in California with him. This was around the time the show the OC was pretty hip with the "kids," and since I had never been to the West Coast I was all in! The fact that we would be staying at his friend, a part-time model's, house didn't deter me enough to say no.

Laser offered to book the plane tickets and not-so-subtley hinted that his part-time model friend could teach me a thing or two about makeup and fashion sense (I'm pretty sure a crossing guard could do the same; that bar is pretty low). It's safe to say that a few red flags were being raised early on into this "relationship," but this next exchange was more of a red flag staple-gunned to a giant neon billboard that was then set on fire...

One evening a week before our trip, Laser called to confirm our travel arrangements. Flight times, airport, etc. And then he said, "I booked your ticket. Your last name is spelled B-U-S-W-E-L-L, right?" It's important to now note that my last name was BusFIELD. He did not just misspell it. He completely changed the second syllable. I cracked up, assuming he was joking (after all, his saving grace had been a sharp sense of humor). But when there was no laughter being returned on the other line, the harsh reality began to set in. My boyfriend of almost HALF A YEAR, who I also WORKED WITH, did not know my last name. I'm not sure if you need a book to tell you that that's a very, very, very, awful sign.

To add insult to injury (a prominent theme of most of my stories), his response was something along the lines of how hard it is for a busy guy like him to keep up with minutia like "last names." He also expressed annoyance at the fact that, what with new airline regulations, it would cost him about a hundred dollars to change the name on the ticket.

Ladies, there are lots of wonderful guys (and gals!) out there, but not everyone's compatible. Hold out for a partner who loves you the way you are, builds you up, makes you happy, and knows how to FREAKIN' SPELL YOUR FREAKIN' NAME! I'm happy to say that my husband fulfills all of these high-maintenance, pie-in-the-sky requirements.

")



No comments:

Post a Comment